5 lb. russet potatoes
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves (3-5 sprigs)
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp lemon & pepper seasoning salt (McCormick recommended)
1 tbsp Aleppo pepper (if not available, use 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1) Soak the unpeeled potatoes in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. With a clean kitchen brush, scrub them under runny water until the skin is clean of any dirt. Dry them with a kitchen towel and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix the rosemary, salt, Aleppo pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning until blended.
3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4) Place each potato on chopping board and quarter lengthwise. Place chopped potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle over generously with herb seasoning and mix with your hands. Pour the oil over potatoes and toss until each piece is evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
5) Spread potatoes in a single layer with skin side on the sheet pan.
6) Cover potatoes with foil, and bake them at the lower rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes to create steam. Then carefully uncover from foil, and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
7) Toss and turn each piece down to a cut-wedge side. Place under broiler for 5-7 minutes until they are brown and crisp outside. Serve hot.
- Use fresh rosemary. Remove the leaves from the woody part, and chop them finely. Put the leaves in a pile, on a chopping board, and rock a chef knife through until minced.
- Do not use paprika to substitute Aleppo pepper. Paprika burns in the oven. If Aleppo pepper is not available, just leave it out.