2 cups can red kidney beans
2 cups can yellow corn
1 cup red bell peppers, 1/2-inch square diced
1 small red onion, 1/4-inch square diced
2 medium jalapeños, 1/4-inch square diced
2 large avocados, 1/2-inch diced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
For the Dressing
1/3 cup lemon juice and lime juice combined
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, pasted
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Place the red beans and corn in a strainer and rinse in cold water until clean. Transfer them on to a plate over a paper towel.
Combine and whisk the dressing ingredients together, set aside.
Dice the rest of vegetables leaving avocado the last to dice. After dicing avocado, squeeze a little limejuice over it to prevent browning.
In a medium mixing bowl, add the red beans, corn, onions, bell peppers, cilantro and the dressing. Toss them together and check for seasoning to add more salt, black pepper or lemon juice. At last, add the diced avocados and toss gently. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and serve cold.
- How to paste the garlic: Don't buy a jar. Smack the garlic clove with your chef knife before mincing. Then peel off and mince it as finely as possible. Now sprinkle some kosher salt to help the process. Gather the minced garlic into a pile, tilt your knife with shape edge facing the garlic, and use both hands to hold the knife and srcap garlic against the board until turns to paste.
- All the ingredients of this salad except for the avocados can be diced a day or two in advance and Stored in refrigerator in tightly sealed containers.
- Substitute the red kidney beans with black beans to make this salad into a scooping dip and pair it with corn tortilla chips.
- If you don’t like cilantro, leave it out and use parsley instead.
- If you have the time and option, grill the corns instead of can.